Friday 5 August 2011

Bits'n'pieces

Clint Chase has blogged about one of my little obsessions, the ability of a rowing/sailing boat to make good way upwind under oars even if you sacrifice a bit of speed on a broad reach. "I like the idea of rowing and then sailing home downwind!" he writes.
Clint and his wife often made the lunch stop first because they could row upwind, an achievement I can relate to. But he does admit that 'you have to love to row'. That is the rub for most sailors, I have found.
Southbourne Sea Scouts close to RfP Towers are selling their Virus Yole double scull like this one, but without the dog. The Yole is not pretty but sea-capable, safe and a good deal of fun. It has been kept under cover and has not been used very much, so would be an ideal choice for a sporty couple who fancy rowing offshore. Drop me an email and I will pass your details on.
The Lake Dillon Challenge in Colorado is claimed to be the highest regatta in the US. It is all a bit heavingly athletic for me, but it includes a nice variety of boats from eights to those precarious stand-up paddle jobbies.


Finally, Hear the Boat Sing has a simply spiffing video that encapsulates the enduring appeal of Henley Royal Regatta as a social rather than a sporting event.



1 comment:

doryman said...

Ah yes, Chris - rowing downwind is also a pleasure. A fellow could throw up a bit of handkerchief to help a bit. I think Clint has a fine rowing vessel there, despite the pretense at sailing.

michael