Tuesday 28 April 2015

In Memoriam

My grandfather was rowed ashore in a boat like this. He fought up the cliffs of Gallipoli, coming to a stop in a trench opposite the Turkish lines. Half his comrades and all the officers were killed, leaving him, a warrant officer, in command. 
When the Turks attacked he led the seven Australians and nine New Zealanders that remained alive out of the trench is a desperate, successful charge. 
A boat like this took his wounded body to the hospital ship where he died. He never knew that he had a second son, my father, born just a few days before.

7 comments:

Tillerman said...

What amazing men those ANZACs were.

Last week we became aware of some letters written home from WW1 by my wife's grandfather, also a warrant officer but in the Australian forces. It gave me chills to realize that he was actually writing letters to a son he had never seen, born after he had shipped to Europe. Thankfully he survived the war and lived to see his grandkids.

Kelvin said...

Were you aware of the surf boat race to commemorate the 100th anniversary? http://www.gallipoli100.com.au/site/Home.asp#UPDATE

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Wow Chris, that's a powerful post... well written...

Stuart B said...

My uncle was a private in the Scottish Horse and died at Gallipoli.

I haven't forgotten your invitation to come and see what you get up to. I will message you to sort something out. My Salters skiff has not seen any water for more years than I care to think.

Teri said...

Chris - are you aware that one of the Gallipoli boats still survives? As far as I know it's hiding over in the Royal navy Dockyard at Portsmouth - last saw it in the dock inside Shed 4 before the refurb started.

Teri said...

Chris - are you aware that one of the Gallipoli boats still survives? When last seen it was over in the dock under Shed 4 in the RN Dockyard @ Portsmouth.... and it was rowable!

Chris Partridge said...

Thanks for letting me know, Teri. I will go and check it out.