Sunday 29 March 2009

DIY racing shells in wood

Nearly a year ago, Duncan in Melbourne wrote to enquire about plans for racing shells in wood. Now Kev writes from Melbourne to ask if Duncan has succeeded in his quest:
Duncan - I am in a similar situation in that I would like to build something out of wood from scratch. I have found it difficult to get information as well so I have started designing my own shell. What have you managed to find, have you started anything?
Kev

Duncan, due to an email wipeout I have lost your address - did you locate suitable plans? Are you building anything?
And did you notice this rather fast-looking wooden shell design by Graeme King at the Wooden Boat Store site?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been away.

No, I've not found anything. A friend of mine has enrolled in the Wooden Boatbuilding Course in Tasmania, Australia and he's planning on refurbishing boats to start with and ultimately building his own, so he's in the hunt for timber single scull plans, but so far to no avail.

Cheers,
Duncan

Chris Partridge said...

Well, that is at least three people who want timber shell plans. To focus the search, what is it that makes the plans from CLC, Selway Fisher and Graeme King unsuitable?